Many of you that work in the lab have switched to working remotely. Though your daily routine and the continuity of your research might have been impacted, your contribution to knowledge can continue in new ways.
Are you at home itching to contribute to science? UniProt to the rescue!
Improve our resource for the community and receive credit for it.
We have the proteins and you have the expertise. You can now use that expertise by adding publications to protein entries.
What you need:
1. ORCID, this is your researcher personal ID (used for validation and for credit)
2. a protein of interest
3. a publication with a PubMed ID (PMID) about the protein of interest. You don’t have to be the author of the publication
What to do (Figure 1):
1. Identify the protein of interest in UniProt (note that this also includes proteins from the special UniProt COVID-19 website, which can be found at https://covid-19.uniprot.org/uniprotkb?query=*)
2. Select “Add a publication” link on the top menu in the entry page
3. Login with ORCID
4. Fill in submission form
a. Enter PubMed ID (PMID) to retrieve publication
b. Confirm that the publication is correct and it is about the protein of interest
c. Select what topics the paper is about
d. Add short statements about protein name, function, disease, or other, as described in the publication
5. Reply to review questions, if any
6. After review, check your publication on the website in next release
Figure 1-From publication to UniProtKB entry.
A sample blank submission form can be found here:
This is how your publication will be displayed on the UniProt entry publication page, under community
https://www.uniprot.org/uniprot/O58649/publications?query=&fil=Community with your ORCID as the contributing source for the publication and information.
Publications submitted can be tracked here
Follow the growth of contributions:
Learn more here:
Related blog: http://insideuniprot.blogspot.com/2019/07